10 tHINGS tO kEEP iN mIND wHEN sPLITTING yOUR pROPERTY & aSSETS dURING dIVORCE OR sEPARATION
1. Seek marriage counselling services (only for matters involving children).
2. Gather all your legal & financial documents (birth & marriage cert, bank stmts, investment docs, tax returns etc…).
3. Record the date of your separation.
4. Decide who moves out of the matrimonial home.
5. Decide where your children are going to live and how to care for them (consider a parenting plan).
6. Divide your joint bank accounts and open a separate bank account (ensure to cancel credit card automatic payments).
7. Update your superannuation, life insurance & will (the benefits pass to your estate or your children in the event of death).
8. List all of your assets and liabilities, and consider dividing your assets fairly.
9. List all of your financial and non-financial contributions.
10. Seek out legal advice.
Going through separation or divorce process can be confusing and emotionally draining, it’s important to seek legal advice before making any decisions.
By John Makou